Friday, October 13, 2006

NFL week 6

Week six! Almost halfway there. This NFL stuff is looking up for me now that I have the Sunday Ticket. Never again will I be stuck with a Bills-Jets game when the Colts and Jags are battling for the early division lead. Never again will I miss a New Orleans Saints possession, and the subsequent Reggie Bush highlights. Six open dates this week makes for a short 13-game table, so let’s get at it. I was 11-3 last week, which adds up to 48-26 on the season. I’m starting to wish I was in a cumulative pool.

A quick "welcome to the party" to the new NHL. Awesome third-period collapses last night by the Leafs (three-goal lead) and the Sharks (two), and then the always fun to ruin my pool-life New York Rangers and Pittsburgh Penguins collecting 13 goals. Goals are good. So are football picks, so with a nod to the unfathomably popular UFC fight tomorrow night, let’s get it on.

Buffalo @ Detroit

I’m not picking an 0-5 team to win. Not even against Buffalo, when I have absolutely no faith in the Bills to win this thing.

Carolina @ Baltimore

I like Carolina, I think they’re moving in the right direction still, but I can’t see them beating Baltimore this week. We’ll get to see how the Ravens rebound after a tough loss Monday night.

Cincinnati @ Tampa Bay

Tampa Bay should remain winless this week. And I’m OK with that.

Houston @ Dallas

Houston has already proven the “blind squirrel” theory once, and I’d like to see them do it again, this time against their cross-state “rivals,” the Cowboys. The T.O. project in Dallas is getting messy, and I think the only surprise is that it took this long. I have more faith in a complete T.O. meltdown on the field Sunday afternoon than I do in my pick.

New York Giants @ Atlanta

Even at a pretty pedestrian 2-2, I’ve been drinking enough of the Giants pre-season Kool-Aid that I can’t stop picking them. Even against a 3-1 Atlanta team at home, who’s only loss of the season was in the first NFL game in New Orleans in nearly two years.

Philadelphia @ New Orleans

My head is telling me no, but my heart, and my eyes are screaming yes.

Seattle @ St. Louis

Stupid NFC West.

Tennessee @ Washington

This could be Tennessee’s first win, but in accordance with the now-revived ban on picking winless teams to win, the ‘skins are the pick.

Kansas City @ Pittsburgh

I hate you, Brock Huard. But it’s a love-hate kind of thing. Keep doing your thing.

Miami @ New York Jets

Joey Harrington looked pretty good last week for Miami. I typed that with a straight face. Well, all the way up to “last.” But it’s true, he did. And against a much better New England team than the Jets will throw at him this week. But the Dolphins still won’t win.

San Diego @ San Francisco

The novelty of LT, Shawne Merriman and co. has worn off. The Chargers are still a pretty nice 3-1 though, and there’s no reason to think they can’t beat the 49ers.

Oakland @ Denver

Forget the short week, Denver could prepare for Oakland over their pre-game meal.

Chicago @ Arizona

Hahahaha, remember when people were picking ‘zona as the sleeper team? That was almost as poorly judged as the Dolphins sleeper picks.

Well, see you guys next week.

No comments: