Friday, October 27, 2006

Changes, picks and pucks

OK, first. It’s good to be back.

Second, my apologies for not communicating during my absence, though I’m sure nobody really noticed.

Third, some changes to the format.

The changes go like so: because November and December are the most ridiculously busy and horrible months of the year in my life, I am going to scale this thing back a little bit. Daily updates just aren’t going to be possible. As well, I felt the daily updates were negatively affecting the quality I want to bring. So with an eye to staying sane for the next two months, and giving my readers something good on the first day back to work, and the last day of work, I’m going to go Monday and Friday every week until at least the new year. I feel that’s the best way to bring you the best, which is what you deserve.

So, where to start? First, this week’s picks: Green Bay, Atlanta, New Orleans, Tennessee, Philadephia, Seattle, Chicago, Giants, San Diego, Indy, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Carolina, New England. Got all that? Good. Moving forward, hockey.

Holy crap, what a week! Ken Hitchcock and Bobby Clarke are out in Philly, and that’s good news for the Flyers. I like John Stevens, I’ve watched him coach at the American League level for a couple years now, and I can see the younger guys in Philly really flourishing under him. It seems to me as thought the NHL is making an NFL-style move, and really becoming a young-man’s game the way the NFL is. Over there, you get what, maybe five years before you’re yesterday’s story? Same thing is happening in the NHL. Who even remembers Tampa Bay’s big guns now? They’re an anachronism, and that’s too bad. Even Sidney Crosby has taken a back seat this season to rookies Evgeni Malkin and Jordan Staal (who may just be the most complete player the Penguins have). And if you haven’t seen it, shame on you for missing Malkin’s goal against New Jersey this week. He made a pretty good defenseman (Colin White) and an all-world goalie (Martin Brodeur) look downright silly. Nice work, rook. In this space, I’d previously written to not be surprised if Pittsburgh made the playoffs, but to not expect it. I still don’t expect them to stay atop the Atlantic Division, but I’m sure not surprised to see them there.

Let’s go! Buffalo! Sorry, I couldn’t help myself. To anyone that every saw a game at the old Aud, could you imagine seeing a 10-0 Sabres team there? Wow! As is, HSBC will have to do, and I’m starting to wonder if they’ll have lost by the time I see them at the end of November. Is there a team in the East that can beat them? If so, they’d be led by Marian Hossa and Ilya Kovalchuk. I’m gonna go with a whole end of October review probably next Friday.

And now I’m going to rip into Darcy Tucker. This guy is a piece of crap, and I can’t believe he dares call himself a hockey player. This may be extreme, but if any player ever had to die on the ice, well, in the interest of maintaining a modicum of taste, I won’t finish that sentence. Way to pummel Patrick Eaves Tuesday night, idiot. You gotta feel really tough when you pound a guy that’s never been in a fight as a pro. Big mean Darcy then lined up beside Ottawa’s Chris Neil (who isn’t even Ottawa’s best fighter) at the opening face-off two nights later, and declined Mr. Neil’s invitation to dance, allegedly saying “I’m a scorer.” You’re worthless Darcy. By the way, I believe the aggregate score of the two games favoured Ottawa 13-4. Maybe you should do more scoring and less head-hunting, and less picking on players with talent.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

For the record....I noticed your absence. I look forward to reading your blogs, I quite enjoy them. So never mind taking breaks, keep writing, so I can enjoy my coffee break!

Anonymous said...

Let me guess....SENS FAN? Not bad eh! I understand that Tucker can be a pain in the ass but guess what, thats what he gets paid to do. Everyone hates him who is not a passionate Leaf fan.It's simple, you would not be whistling the same tune if he was the one on your squad. The saying goes, "pick on someone your own size." Well thats exactly what Mr. Tucker did against the Sens. Sure he could have excepted that no talent goon, Neil's invitation but that would mean getting his head punched in. If Mr. Eaves cannot defend himself then don't bother lacing them up. Tucker brings alot of grit to a leaf team that lacks it. He works hard and not too mention he can put the puck in the net unlike Neil who is lucky he can stop both ways and skate in a straight line. Every team would love to have a player like Tucker!!