Monday, October 23, 2006

Broken-hearted blues

Why Shawne, why?

Word came down late last night the NFL is going to suspend San Diego Chargers’ linebacker, and Sports With Steve favourite, Shawne Merriman for violating the league’s drug policy. ESPN.com is reporting the suspension is “definitely” for steroid use. This guy started in the Pro Bowl as a rookie last year, and is regarded in such esteem that nobody in the NFL makes fun of his Lights Out nickname. Frankly, it’s a handle that needs to be fulfilled in a particular manner, and Merriman did it. Let’s look back to week one of the season and we can see that I’d deemed the week a bust because Merriman didn’t decapitate anyone. Since the Toronto Maple Leafs didn’t win any games, this is officially the worst thing that happened all weekend. I’m so bummed about this, I can’t even get to the Philadelphia Flyers’ off-ice changes, or to baseball renewing their labour deal, or to Kenny Rogers’ dominant post-season. I don’t even know how I got up for work today. You break my heart, Shawne, you break my heart.

No comments: