Thursday, October 04, 2007

Calgary Flames home opener

Alternatively, "Some of the reasons I love hockey: a short essay by Steve Francis)

Just in from the Calgary Flames' home opener (ticket courtesy Mr. Aaron Charpentier), and let me say this: that was a pretty good hockey game, and the kind of game that I love to attend. Here's a quick rundown of the things I loved about the Flames first game this season.

First, and foremost, the players. In the end, the game is about the players, and any time you see a game live, you learn a little bit about them. Some players do exactly what you'd expect from them. For example, Daniel Briere scored two goals for the Flyers, and Anders Eriksson turned the puck over late in the game, leading directly to the winning goal.

Some guys surprise you: despite the fact I've spent most of the pre-season warning the people in my pool they'd regret selecting Daymond Langkow, he scored both Flames goals. And Cory Sarich is a really good defenseman. Speaking of defensemen, it's often said a sign of a well-played game by a defenseman is having not noticed him on the ice. Philadelphia's Jason Smith fit that description so well, I actually had to double-check that he'd even played.

So all in all, the game itself was not great, but it was certainly enjoyable. The other key element to a hockey game is, of course, the fans. It doesn't take much for a crowd to cheer at the right times, boo at the right times, and react in any manner of ways when prompted to. The key to a good crowd is the collection of jerseys.

The standards in Cowtown these days are the Jarome Iginla, Dion Phaneuf and Mikka Kiprusoff collection, with some Craig Conroy sprinkled in (this city has a love affair with him I'll never understand). And old-school Lanny McDonald and Theo Fleury jerseys are pretty common, too (the 1996-era Fleury jerseys are much more rare). At Thursday night's game, I saw in order, Shane Churla, Hakan Loob, and my personal favourite, Paul Ranheim jerseys. Fantastic. Sadly, the Flyers jerseys I saw were pretty standard-issue Keith Primeaus and Peter Forsbergs. Hey Philly, next time, I want to see some Kjell Sameulsson, Dave Poulin and Brian Propp sweaters (and I'm certain a Ilkka Sinisalo wouldn't kill you).

But this night's real treat came as a result of having made a wrong turn leaving the rink. While walking the long way 'round to the exit, some guys in suits started to cut through the crowd right in front of me. And wouldn't you know, said “guys in suits” were comprised of Flyers' brass. Former general manager Bobby Clarke, current general manager Paul Holmgren, and owner Ed Snyder, all of whom were happy to shake hands and say hello before being whisked away.

So let's recap, free ticket, good game, three amazing jersey sightings, and shaking hands with two Hall of Famers. Sometimes I just can't help but wonder why I love hockey.

No comments: