Friday, December 08, 2006

Vernon, Please Don't Go

I know it’s just a rumour, and I know I can’t hit the panic button yet. In fact, I keep staring at the cover of the Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy for the reminder.

That said, I’m panicking.

I cruised over to ESPN.com and saw something terrible. It was Vernon Wells’ face under the “Rumor Central” tab, mentioning the Los Angeles Dodgers interest in the Jays’ slugger/Gold Glover/best all-around player/MVP/face of the franchise/(I don’t think this is a stretch) the best home-grown player the Blue Jays have ever had. How’s that for a list of superlatives?

I know I bitch and moan about the Gay Accountant a lot. But this Vernon Wells business has to get sorted out. There’s no sense in letting this thing run on too long. The Ted Lilly (2007 or 2008 NL Cy Young winner against that division) debacle went on way too long. This Wells thing has been going strong for most of the 2006 season, and now the off-season (and it was prevalent in 2005 as well). When the media is focused on a guy’s contract status two years (TWO YEARS) before it’s set to expire, they’re telling the GM something. I don’t know if there’s ever been a player this popular with Jays fans. Ownership bumped the budget. Give this guy the A-Rod deal to stay.

If not, you’d better get a good return on this one. And dealing him in the middle of his last season under contract isn’t going to get a good return when most of the baseball world thinks he’s ready to head home to Arlington.

If Vernon Wells’ status isn’t settled before Spring Training, this team will be unsettled throughout the spring, into the early start of the season, and the next thing you know, it’s Victoria/Memorial Day and the Jays are burying themselves in the AL East. Wonderful.

Good news Jays fans. Another mediocre year for a club that should be flying high.

No comments: